[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Taylor <chris at x dash bb dot org>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] If you use linux before.... why m0n0 now?
 Date:  Sun, 30 Oct 2005 16:03:06 +0000
Hi,

I've used lots of Linux-based firewalls before shifting to m0n0, some of
the reasons why I love it are:

1. The interface. It's truly brilliant. Very well laid-out, very easy to
easy, excellent use of graphical icons without going too far etc.

2. The feature set. Things like traffic shaping, VPNs etc are all there
and they all work well. I setup a VPN to a friend running IPCop and the
interface his end was far less user-friendly IMO. I make use of a fair
few of the features, such as the SNMP support (with ifgraph on another
machine), the SVG graphs etc. It just feels very polished and very pro.

3. Size/installation method. I run mine on a PC with a CF card, so I
have no drives, only one fan (PSU) and it fits in a small space. I've
actually installed my m0n0wall in a drawer :) To me, it says a lot that
m0n0 is distributed as a ~5meg image. No bloat, no BS, but still lots of
useful features.

4. The PHP/XML thing. I'm a PHP developer who likes XML so when I read
about the base configuration on the m0n0 site, that pulled me in. The
idea of using PHP for startup scripts etc seemed very cool and I gave it
a go. I haven't looked back since...

BSD is actually what I would call an incidental factor. I'm of the
opinion that, with enough effort, you could probably achieve something
almost identical in Linux. As such, the base OS doesn't bother me much.
However, I know BSD is renowned for networking performance, is generally
very secure and it seems to be working great, so it's far from a
downside to me...

I have friends on both IPCop and Smoothwall who I will be "converting"
as soon as I can, that's how strongly I feel m0n0 is superior. Some may
disagree but that's my opinion. Out of all the firewalls I've tried in
this sector, I personally rank m0n0 as the best.

The only thing that saddens me a touch is the requirement for some kind
of BSD setup to develop for it. I run a couple of Linux servers here and
have no real desire to switch to BSD and learn all about it etc, so I
can't really contribute code :( I'd love to have a poke about with
m0n0's innards but, at present, it's just not practical for me to do so.

Cheers,

Chris Taylor