[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]
 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  Anatoly Chernov <administrator at tolytech dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cannot connect to WebGUI or ping LAN interface
 Date:  Tue, 1 Nov 2005 22:45:41 +0000

In message <20051101211452 dot c50d63cc at mail dot TolyTech dot com>, Anatoly Chernov
<administrator at tolytech dot com> writes
>I installed m0n0wall 1.2, generic-pc version. Ufter reboot all NIC
>cards were recognized.
>  I use Compaq Dual port NIC card and motherboard build-in NIC card.
>Console screen indicates
>  that tl0, tl1 and fxp0 are up. I choose:
>  LAN -> tl0
>  WAN -> fxp0
>  OPT1 - > tl1
>  then I assigned IP to LAN intervace:, no VLAN, DHCP
>enabled: to
>  Ufter reboot m0n0wall "remembers" all settings: LAN, WAN amd OPT1
>interfaces as well as LAN IP address.
>  Tryed to connect to timed out, tryed to ping no
>  Yes, my PC has IP and mask.
>  Tryed crossover cable directly from laptop to m0n0wall - cannot get
>DHCP IP. Did ipconfig /release and renew - no IP.
>  Assigned new IP to my laptop:, mask,
>gateway - cannot ping m0n0wall.

I have a very similar situation - there appears to be a bug in either
the driver or hardware for the dual port card.  I have two in my
firewall and although the link light comes on, no traffic is possible.
The solution is to go to /status.php - when ifconfig is run the card
bursts into life.

This will be a problem if your LAN port is on the troublesome card.  I
would suggest moving your LAN interface to fxp0 and then you can go to

Every time my firewall gets power cycled (haven't got around to putting
it on the UPS yet) I have to perform this (It took me a while to work
out what was going on).  This is one of the reasons why I'm moving to a
managed switch and using VLANs on fxp0 (when I get some nice quiet fans
for it).

Hope this helps,