[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Neil A. Hillard" <m0n0 at dana dot org dot uk>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Cc:  Anatoly Chernov <administrator at tolytech dot com>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Cannot connect to WebGUI or ping LAN interface
 Date:  Tue, 1 Nov 2005 22:45:41 +0000
Hi,

In message <20051101211452 dot c50d63cc at mail dot TolyTech dot com>, Anatoly Chernov
<administrator at tolytech dot com> writes
>I installed m0n0wall 1.2, generic-pc version. Ufter reboot all NIC
>cards were recognized.
>  I use Compaq Dual port NIC card and motherboard build-in NIC card.
>Console screen indicates
>  that tl0, tl1 and fxp0 are up. I choose:
>  LAN -> tl0
>  WAN -> fxp0
>  OPT1 - > tl1
>  then I assigned IP to LAN intervace: 192.168.0.78/24, no VLAN, DHCP
>enabled: 192.168.0.100 to 192.168.0.110
>  Ufter reboot m0n0wall "remembers" all settings: LAN, WAN amd OPT1
>interfaces as well as LAN IP address.
>
>  Tryed to connect to http://192.168.0.78/ timed out, tryed to ping no
>response.
>  Yes, my PC has 192.168.0.6 IP and 255.255.255.0 mask.
>  Tryed crossover cable directly from laptop to m0n0wall - cannot get
>DHCP IP. Did ipconfig /release and renew - no IP.
>  Assigned new IP to my laptop: 192.168.0.3, 255.255.255.0 mask,
>gateway 192.168.0.78 - cannot ping m0n0wall.

I have a very similar situation - there appears to be a bug in either
the driver or hardware for the dual port card.  I have two in my
firewall and although the link light comes on, no traffic is possible.
The solution is to go to /status.php - when ifconfig is run the card
bursts into life.

This will be a problem if your LAN port is on the troublesome card.  I
would suggest moving your LAN interface to fxp0 and then you can go to
/status.php.

Every time my firewall gets power cycled (haven't got around to putting
it on the UPS yet) I have to perform this (It took me a while to work
out what was going on).  This is one of the reasons why I'm moving to a
managed switch and using VLANs on fxp0 (when I get some nice quiet fans
for it).

Hope this helps,

                                Neil.