[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] NIC Compatability
 Date:  Tue, 1 Nov 2005 20:19:53 -0500
On 10/30/05, Mark Wass <mark dot wass at market dash analyst dot com> wrote:
> Hi Chris
>
> Thanks for your reply. I found some info about that Broadcom NIC on this web
> page.
>
> http://www.broadcom.com/products/Enterprise-Small-Office/Gigabit-Ethernet-Controllers/BCM5721

I'm not sure how different they are from the other BCM5700's, but
there are some BCM5700 cards that are supported, like the one onboard
on PE 2550's.  I can't say that I've had great experiences with those,
though.  Not with m0n0wall, but with FreeBSD 5.4.  They seem to fall
off the network periodically, sometimes to come back a few seconds
later, sometimes (though rarely) requiring a reboot.  I've heard of
others with the same issue with bge cards.  Though I've also heard of
a bunch of people using them successfully with m0n0wall with no
trouble.  YMMV...

This thread has made me think of an area where we really need a better
list of supported equipment, and that's gigabit cards.  You can slap
in about every 10 and 10/100 card ever made and it'll work, but that's
not the case with gigabit.  added to my long list of things that'll
hopefully get completed one of these days (volunteers welcome, I'd be
glad to guide someone in the right direction and assist throughout the
process).

-Chris