[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Phil Christensen <phil at reflexionsdata dot com>
 To:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] strange m0n0 issue
 Date:  Wed, 2 Nov 2005 10:13:34 -0500
On Nov 1, 2005, at 5:47 PM, Chris Buechler wrote:
> Your LAN and WAN IP's are on the same subnet.  Routers and firewalls
> don't work in that type of scenario.  A single IP subnet must be on
> only one interface.

Ah, I suspected this might be an issue with my haphazard collection
of networking knowledge ;-)...

> Bridging should work well for this type of setup, if you don't have
> any NAT hosts involved at all.  there are other alternatives with 1:1
> NAT or other types of NAT if you don't care whether the public IP is
> on the actual system.

I am trying to avoid the 1:1 NAT scenario, so bridging seems like my
best option. I went through the docs and found a nice example setup,
but it refers to an "OPT" interface that I don't see available in the
admin. Is there something I need to do to make this appear under
"Interfaces"?

Thanks again for your help.

-phil