[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "David Cook" <david dot cook at jetpress dot com>
 To:  <mono at wiredplace dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Monowall in the UK with multiple IP's - Which Modem?
 Date:  Wed, 2 Nov 2005 16:26:18 -0000
Steve,

I've had a look at Eclipse's tech support pages. Looks like you have been allocated a /30 block of
addresses, 4 in total 2 usable (2 are the network and broadcast addresses). This is in addition to a
single address that is allocated to the ADSL router automatically when it connects to the service.

A /30 block is ideal for m0n0wall and a cheap no-frills ADSL-ethernet router will do the job as long
as Network Address Translation can be disabled. NAT will be performed at your m0n0wall.

The two addresses you have are assigned to the Ethernet interface of the ADSL router and the WAN
interface of m0n0wall. m0n0wall uses the address assigned to the Ethernet interface of the ADSL
router as its default gateway.

The instructions that Eclipse have for configuring a Speedtouch for no-NAT should give you a better
idea of what I mean, but use 255.255.255.252 as a subnet mask. The subnet mask of 255.255.255.248
used in their example is for a /29 address block.

(http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/ProductInfo.asp?WebProductID=96221). We use these all the time
together with m0n0wall on Soekris hardware. Just disable the routers internal firewall and NAT.

Regards

David Cook

JP Computer Services
JET PRESS Limited
Nunn Close
Huthwaite
Nottinghamshire
NG17 2HWUK

Web:   www.jpcompserv.co.uk
Tel:   0845 083 3070
Fax:   0845 083 3071

Confidentiality Notice
This message and its contents are confidential. The contents are solely for the attention of the
recipient(s) named above and any unauthorised disclosure, copying or distribution is forbidden.  If
you are not the recipient named above, please contact the sender immediately and destroy this
message.  The views expressed in this message are those of the sender and not necessarily those of
JP Computer Services.