[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Tarun Kundhi" <tkundhi at inebraska dot com>
 To:  "m0n0wall list" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall 1.2 stop responding.
 Date:  Wed, 2 Nov 2005 12:03:58 -0600
In the past I've seen some strange behavior on my box with a built-in 3Com
(xl0) and 2 PCI D-Link[Realtek] (rl0, rl1) NICs. Originally my config had
the 3Com on WAN and D-Links on LAN and DMZ. Upon heavy traffic between the
3Com interface and either D-Link interface the box would crash and reboot.
Example, downloading multiple files simultaniously from the web. I solved
the problem by moving the 3Com NIC to the less used DMZ interface. Now I
have a D-Link (rl0) on WAN and a D-Link(rl1) on LAN with the 3Com(xl0) on
DMZ and I've only seen 1 crash. It occured when I was trying to FTP (get) a
big file from the DMZ to the LAN.

I saw this same behavior on 1.11 so I don't think it is an issue with 1.12.
I suspect it is a hardware issue. In my case I believe it is the 3Com card.

Try swaping your interfaces around and using the currently disabled NIC.

FWIW, I've been testing captive portal for just over a week and have not had
any complete lockups as reported by others. I have seen clients get locked
out when using pass-through MAC but I figured out it was my config not
m0n0wall. If using pass-through MAC & DHCP you need to be careful. Traffic
is blocked if the MAC and  ip address change while an entry exists in the
captive portal status table. To regain access simply delete the record from
the captive portal status table and the client will relogin.

t.