[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 replacing a Cisco Catalyst 2650?
 Date:  Thu, 3 Nov 2005 12:09:46 -0500
On 11/3/05, Erik Anderson <erikerik at gmail dot com> wrote:

> My one question is dealing with bandwidth.  We have 10 Mbit
> full-duplex internet service, but we rarely hit even half of that.
> Average load is about 1 Mbit, spiking a few times a day up to 5 Mbit.
> I'm proposing replacing the cisco router w/ a Soekris net4801 with the
> lan1641 addon card.  Do you think this combination would have any
> issues handling the load?  At this point, we'd only be using four
> interfaces (WAN, LAN, DMZ, and wireless).

depends on how much you want to route between LAN, DMZ, and wireless.
10 Mb of Internet bandwidth isn't an issue at all, but if you want
that plus ~100 Mb between LAN and DMZ, and ~30 Mb between wireless and
LAN, then no, a 4801 is not sufficient.

You can get a maximum of about 45 Mb thorugh a 4801.  take off 5 Mb
for Internet, and you have ~40 Mb of capacity between the LAN,
wireless, and DMZ interfaces.

granted this will vary some depending on environment, but that should
be a pretty accurate estimate.

-Chris