[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "m0n0wall" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 replacing a Cisco Catalyst 2650?
 Date:  Thu, 3 Nov 2005 11:08:17 -0600
From: "Erik Anderson" <erikerik at gmail dot com>

> I'm proposing replacing the cisco router w/ a Soekris net4801 with the
> lan1641 addon card.  Do you think this combination would have any
> issues handling the load?  At this point, we'd only be using four
> interfaces (WAN, LAN, DMZ, and wireless).

Frankly, I would through a bit more hardware at it.  The Soekris may handle
it, but it will be tight...  And it will not do wire speed between the
internal interfaces.  I would go with;

Very small (appliance like) Case    $62.99
http://www.directron.com/2699r.html
Duel ethernet 1Ghz board               $148.00
http://www.directron.com/epiacl10000.html
Very nice Intel Duel port NIC        $34.00
http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDetails.asp?txtProductName=nic/pila8472-bk&txtMfgPartNo=&nCategorySubID=125&txtSiteTrack=pw
Psudo Hard drive                            $18.90
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS32MDOM40V
And 512 meg of memory.  128-256 works fine now, but if you want PPTP or
captive portal with a lot of users, you may need 512.

                        Lee