[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall 1.2 stop responding.
 Date:  Tue, 1 Nov 2005 20:53:44 -0600
From: "Shaun Mcbride" <shaunmcbride at charter dot net>

>I have noticed the same affect on several versions of m0n0wall.  PC is a
>Hewlett Packard 500mhz with 128mb ram.  I have 4 computers on the lan, no
>dmz and 3rd nick is disabled.  Running dns forwarder dhcp server and just
>started up the pptp server.  Other then that the only changes I have made
>are for the forwarding of ports for the http server and vnc stuff.  I did
>set the hard drive to go to standby after about 10 minutes.  The 3com is
>the WAN and a realtek for the LAN.  Forgive me I don't know the modem
>numbers on the cards.  But it does seem to "freeze" when heavy p2p is
>going, mainly bittorrent. Seems to happen almost 30 days in my experience.
> Is there something more I can provide that could better help diagnois this
> problem?  Still pretty new at Linux/Unix systems.

Some people have found realtek cards to do "odd things" in m0n0.  I have had
good luck with them, but I know many who have not.  The first thing I would
try is another NIC.  p2p traffic can have a lot of concurrent threads, and
can really hammer a box.  Marginal parts are most likely to show up then.

                        Lee