[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Daniele Guazzoni <daniele dot guazzoni at gcomm dot ch>
 Cc:  m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0 replacing a Cisco Catalyst 2650?
 Date:  Fri, 04 Nov 2005 02:09:55 +0100
Erik in your case  it's not a matter of speed (the soekris board with
m0n0wall will handle 10 Mbps easily) but a matter of feature.

M0n0wall is not Cisco as Cisco is not m0n0wall.

What I mean is:
- if you are just routing and do some NAT, m0n0wall is your box
- if you use any router (or Cisco) features like dynamic routing, Cisco
is your box

Daniele

Erik Anderson wrote:
> Greetings all - we're currently using a cisco catalyst 2650 router at
> work.  It's doing NAT, a few port forwards, SPI...pretty standard
> stuff and nothing overly complex.  I've looked through the 2650's
> config file and have determined that m0n0wall would be able to easily
> duplicate the functionality.
>
> My one question is dealing with bandwidth.  We have 10 Mbit
> full-duplex internet service, but we rarely hit even half of that.
> Average load is about 1 Mbit, spiking a few times a day up to 5 Mbit.
> I'm proposing replacing the cisco router w/ a Soekris net4801 with the
> lan1641 addon card.  Do you think this combination would have any
> issues handling the load?  At this point, we'd only be using four
> interfaces (WAN, LAN, DMZ, and wireless).
>
> Please forgive me if I haven't provided enough information here - I
> know this question is quite subjective.
>
> Thanks!
> -Erik
>
> P.S.  In case you're wondering my main reason for wanting to replace
> the cisco router is that it currently only has two interfaces, making
> it impossible to have a "real" DMZ.  For much less than what it would
> cost to get another interface for the cisco, we can purchase the
> soekris hardware and have several more interfaces available to us.

	best regards

Daniele Guazzoni
Senior Network Engineer, CCNA, CCNP

Ackersteinstrasse 203
CH-8049 Zurich
"Destiny is not a matter of chance, it is a matter of choice;
it is not a thing to be waited for, it is a thing to be achieved."
					William Jennings Bryan