[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mark Wass <mark dot wass at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DNS Forwarding to PPTP Clients
 Date:  Fri, 04 Nov 2005 20:03:54 +1000
Hi All

Using Mono 1.2 and have found this issue.

If I add entries to the DNS Forwarder in Mono, should PPTP clients be
able to ping these DNS entries and get a result?

I have found that when I log into my Mono box via a PPTP VPN connection
and try a ping a DNS name that I have placed in the DNS forwarder it
does not work.

e.g. ping mail.mydomain.com

Yet if I do a NSLOOKUP I get a result

C:\Documents and Settings\Mark>nslookup mail.mydomain.com
*** Can't find server name for address 192.168.0.1: Non-existent domain
<---This is the IP of my ADSL Modem/Router at home
Server:  mono.mydomain.com
Address:  192.168.1.1

Name:    mail.mydomain.com
Address:  192.168.1.7

I only have one rule that allows all traffic so rules are not an issue.
Does DNS fowarder work for PPTP clients? By the way I have specified the
IP I get when I connect to Mono via PPTP in the PPTP user settings.

Thanks

Mark