[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hardware Recommendation for monowall to monowall IPSec VPN.
 Date:  Sat, 5 Nov 2005 01:09:43 -0600
From: "Dan MacMillan" <danm at emerald dash associates dot com>

> Our principal concern is with IPSec VPN throughput.  Is it
> realistic to expect to be able to saturate a 10 Mbit link with
> VPN traffic using standard PC hardware?  With, for example,
> the "B2" pre-installed monowall machine at logicsupply.com?
> Or, put another way ... what hardware would you recommend
> to be able to sustain 10 Mbit VPN traffic?

One thing I dislike about logic supply is the whole "Ignore the man behind
the curtain" thing.  Figuring out what they have in there is hard.  The "B2"
box is 600 mhz with 128 meg of ram.  The CPU is a bit slow for the
encryption, and the ram is quite light.  At Directron the CL6000 and the
CL10000 are only $1 apart.  At logic, the frist CL10000 is the "F6" which is
$300 more.  It also has 256 meg of ram (better) and two more ports (What
kind? Who knows...)  I would try this;

Very small (appliance like) Case    $62.99
http://www.directron.com/2699r.html
Duel ethernet 1Ghz board               $148.00
http://www.directron.com/epiacl10000.html
Tack on 512 meg of RAM when you order the MB for $42.99
Psudo Hard drive                            $18.90
http://ec.transcendusa.com/product/ItemDetail.asp?ItemID=TS32MDOM40V

This is a very powerfull "little box" at only $272.88 + shipping.  The only
thing with more juice would be the 1.2 ghz one for $215, but does it have
the features!
http://www.directron.com/epiamii12000.html

                        Lee