[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Hardware Recommendation for monowall to monowall IPSec VPN.
 Date:  Sat, 5 Nov 2005 10:14:02 -0600
From: "Dan MacMillan" <danm at emerald dash associates dot com>

> I spoke to someone at Logic Supply, and they said the B2
> came with a "CL6" but they would put a "CL10" into the B2
> model for no additional charge.  That did not seem possible to
> me but considering your reply it makes sense.  He mentioned
> that the reason it is stock with the "CL6" is because it is fanless,
> which they usually recommend for networking appliances.  To be
> honest, I didn't know what he was talking about.  He was talking
> about the "CL6" and "CL10" as if they were CPUs, but that
> didn't make sense with the fanless comment.  After following
> your link above, everything becomes more clear.

Well, this does make my opinion of Logic supply go up a bit. :-)  Still not
much information, but willing to do what you need.

> I also asked him about the possibility of adding a crypto card.

m0n0 does not support them either.

> So my intended purchase was actually ... I guess, not much like the
> B2 at the end of the day.  The CL10000 in a Casetronic C158 with
> 128MB of RAM.  It sounds like you're recommending near-equivalent
> hardware, with the exception of additional RAM.  Would it be necessary
> or advisable to get more RAM?  Is it chewed up by the VPN encryption?

Every thread, and every tunnel, every state in captive portal...  All of the
interesting things take ram.  And with all of the recent posts about
lockups, I am thinking there are many ram issues.  A few custom images are
even configured with 512 meg of ram minimum.  I think of it as cheap
insurance.

> The thing is, at my office, we have more money than time right now.
> If we're confident that we're buying hardware that will do the job, it is
> worth it to us to spend a little more money to get a box that is ready to
> plug in and be configured.  Your recommendation suggests I'm going in
> the right direction.  I would like to know if you think the RAM should be
> upgraded, though.

I will sell you one. :-) And configure it for you, if you need.  (It is not
that I have time, but I don't have money)  And yes, I would bump the ram.

                        Lee