[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dr Who <brokenby2703 at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Upgrade of Hardware (is it worth ?)
 Date:  Mon, 7 Nov 2005 18:20:19 +0800
Hi to all,
how has been the weekend ?
Well, seriously...

I've been using m0n0 with NET4501 Soekris (home) and with an IBM PC300 (P166
with 64MB ram) (office) both in CF configuration.
Always been satisfied.... really! Thank m0n0!

Now, in the way to upgrade some PC of our office I've got a few P3/Celeron
computer...
I was thinking to use one of them for m0n0, in particular:

- Celeron 850
- 128MB ram
- m0n0 in CDROM version (+floppy for config)

M0n0 is routering the ADSL for just 10 client (WinXP) and other 4 servers.
There is no server accessible from outside (really no VPN, no WEB/MAIL
server).

My question: is it worth to move to a faster CPU ?
(cpu load max has been 10% and memory usage no more than 50% with my actual
config).

Another question....
Reading on various forum (hw) most of posts regarding ethernet card, are
complaining about the low quality of REALTEK 8139B/C/D (rl0)
I went to buy 2 SMC PCI card today and found that price is almost same as
per a normal REALTEK. (SMC is deteced as 'dc0')
Is it a REALTEK so bad ?
Can really compromise the performance of m0n0 ?

Thank you for your time.
David