[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chris Bagnall" <m0n0wall at minotaur dot cc>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Upgrade of Hardware (is it worth ?)
 Date:  Mon, 7 Nov 2005 11:04:11 -0000
> My question: is it worth to move to a faster CPU ?
> (cpu load max has been 10% and memory usage no more than 50%
> with my actual config).

No, the Soekris is far lower power consumption. Enjoy the lower power bill.
:-)

> Reading on various forum (hw) most of posts regarding
> ethernet card, are complaining about the low quality of
> REALTEK 8139B/C/D (rl0) I went to buy 2 SMC PCI card today
> and found that price is almost same as per a normal REALTEK.
> (SMC is deteced as 'dc0') Is it a REALTEK so bad ?

On a slower connection, no, there really isn't a problem using Realtek
cards. On a faster connection or where you're routing between subnets on a
slower platform, then it may well be worth considering a better option. If
you're on a tight budget, you can't go wrong with the Pro/100+ cards - you
can pick 'em up off eBay for a few pounds a card.

Regards,

Chris