[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Forwarding PPTP vpn clients to a W2k3 server
 Date:  Tue, 8 Nov 2005 06:53:22 -0600
John Benjamin wrote:
> Excellent! Thanks Chris.
>
> Would the DHCP server running on m0n0wall be the server for auth'd
> clients in this pass-through scenario? Or, does the vpn server need
> to provide an address to new clients?  It seems like m0n0wall should
> assign an IP to the incoming client amd then pass it through to the
> VPN server for authentication.

I believe that when the pass-through "forwards" the connection the
m0n0wall will hand off everything to do with that connection to the
receiving PPTP server. This should include the assignment of the IP
address.

In my scenario, I have DHCP running on my Win2K3 server (SBS is picky
about that...). I have the subnet configured on the m0n0wall PPTP
excluded from the Win2K3 DHCP scope. The m0n0wall PPTP assigns the IP to
the connection from that subnet.

What is stopping you from running DHCP on your Win2K3 server? Any
processes/features you can not use on the m0n0wall can only increase
performance... Let the m0n0wall be just a firewall...

James W. McKeand