[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee B." <leeb00 at gmail dot com>
 To:  Monowall Email List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Traffic Shaping questions
 Date:  Wed, 09 Nov 2005 17:28:17 -0800
A couple questions on Traffic Shaping.

I thought I would start with the Wizard and keep the Wizard's small
packet rules, then add my unique services (Vonage VOIP and Teamspeak
voice over IP) to the rule list, more or less.

After running the Wizard and examining the resulting small-packet rules, I
wonder why the small packets are assigned to queues taking 60% of a
relatively large pipe? I'm not a networking expert, but "small packets"
wouldn't contain much data so wouldn't a dedicated "small" queue be
appropriate? I know it depends how big the pipe is. :) In my case its
Comcast actual 5120 mbps down/350 mbps up.

Second question: I've got a Teamspeak server and VOIP. Although they
both need dedicated bandwidth to avoid voice breakup, the likelihood of
both being used at the same time is low but not totally unlikely. Which
of the following options is best?

1. Share a queue between these two services (Voip and Teamspeak assigned
to the same ~50% queue)

2. Create two queues that are both 50% sized, resulting in my total
queues totaling 150% (is this bad?).

3. Use a mask assigned to a 50% queue with both VOIP and Teamspeak in
that queue. Does a mask give all the bandwidth to one service if its the
only one currently in use?

Sorry if my terminology isn't correct. I'm a recent convert from IPCop
to M0n0wall.