On 11/9/05, Mark Wass <mark dot wass at market dash analyst dot com> wrote:
> PING google.com (220.127.116.11) from 18.104.22.168: 56 data bytes
> 64 bytes from 22.214.171.124: icmp_seq=0 ttl=235 time=235.887 ms
> 64 bytes from 126.96.36.199: icmp_seq=1 ttl=234 time=236.213 ms
> 64 bytes from 188.8.131.52: icmp_seq=2 ttl=235 time=236.433 ms
so m0n0wall itself is resolving google properly. Your clients have to
be requesting google.com.yourdomain.com then. Download a copy of
Ethereal and check out the DNS queries the clients are sending, and
you'll see for sure.
> My next question is, Is this a bug in m0n0's DNS/DHCP setup?
> Can we fix m0n0 so I don't have to add a . period to all my LAN clients
> DNS settings?
this isn't a m0n0wall issue. There are thousands and thousands of
people using this type of setup and only you have this problem, nor
can I recall anyone in the past having this same issue.
to make absolutely postively sure, what happens if you set a client to
use your ISP's DNS server directly?
> Ok I added a period and this is what I get.
> C:\Documents and Settings\Mark Wass>nslookup google.com.
> Server: pyro.mydomain.com
> Address: 192.168.1.1
> Non-authoritative answer:
> Name: google.com
> Addresses: 184.108.40.206, 220.127.116.11
The period is always there, per DNS spec. It's just normally implied
to be at the end of any query. There's something set on your clients
that they aren't doing this and always append the default domain.
Hence when you add "." as one of the default domains, queries start
working again since the clients tack on the normally implied "." at
the end rather than your full domain.
You'd probably have better luck in a Microsoft forum. I messed around
with my DNS settings and can't replicate this even by trying.