[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Lee Sharp <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Cc:  MonoWall-General List <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] FreeBSD 4.x is approaching the end of its life?
 Date:  Thu, 10 Nov 2005 13:54:00 +0800
On 11/10/05 12:25 Lee Sharp said the following:
>  The will be a long transition.  However, the 1.2 branch is
> rock solid, and will be there until the 1.3 branch is as solid.

exactly. admittedly m0n0's less then succesful venture into 5.x land with
1.2b6 and 1.2b7 was due in a very large part to the less than spectacular
performance of freebsd 5.x. however, many of these issues are supposed to
have been fixed in 6.0-RELEASE.

in addition, 6.x provides greater support for a wider range of wireless
chipsets and 32-bit Cardbus PCMCIA devices. this, imho, has been something
sorely needed in m0n0wall and would be difficult to provide on an older 4.x
release.

i personally have been using 6.0 on my notebook without a hitch for a month
now, and performance is much, much better than 5.x though i've get to do
any real benchmarks on the two. what i plan on doing is porting the
recently released 1.2 to freebsd 6-STABLE and release those images for
testing and benchmarking. based on the feedback, we could hopefully either
confirm or rule out the use of 6.x as the base operating system for
m0n0wall 1.3 onwards.