[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Using m0n0 as simple router
 Date:  Thu, 10 Nov 2005 10:57:45 -0500
On 11/10/05, lists <lists at pjb dot homelinux dot net> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a temporary requirement to simulate a dedicated wide area network
> which will be used to bridge four remote sites together.
>
> Currently, the equipment for all four sites is at a single site, and I was
> intending to use m0n0 with four ethernet cards to simulate the dedicated
> wide area network.
>
> After setting up the four ethernet cards with the appropriate IP addresses
> and subnets, I was intending to simply add firewall rules to allow access
> from each card to every other card (TCP/UDP access, no ports blocked).
>
> Would this be the preferred approach - and is there a way to avoid having
> to dedicate an additional ethernet card to the WAN interface (which I am
> not intending to use)?

that should be fine.  Depending on your desired routing, you may have
to use the WAN interface for one of the networks since it's the only
one that'll accept a default gateway.  If you do, you'll have to
disable NAT (see FAQ).  You may be able to get by without a default
gateway, and without a WAN interface.

-Chris