[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Tim Kingman <tim dot kingman at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] MAJOR m0n0wall DNS ISSUE - Please Help
 Date:  Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:09:10 -0500
The domain you're entering in General Setup is being passed to DHCP
clients as a search domain. Normally, this means that DNS lookups will
try to append those domains to all lookups. For example, on my
computer at work, I have sub.ourdomain.edu and domain.edu set as
search domains, so I only have to ssh hostname, and it works even
though I'm really getting to hostname.sub.domain.edu.

I'm going to guess that the difference in your case is that your real
domain's DNS provider is doing wildcard dns, so
anything.your-real-domain.com will resolve to your-real-domain.com's
IP address. Even though mycorp.com is a real domain name, it does not
have wildcard DNS, so google.com.mycorp.com doesn't resolve, so the
Windows DNS resolver tries again without the search domain appended.

The next logical question is: can m0n0wall be set to not pass the
entered domain to DHCP clients as a search domain? Or, can you just
enter a completely bogus domain name and not inadvertently break some
other component? I assume you can, because my General Setup is
configured with a hostname of m0n0wall and a domain of just my
apartment number. I guess it's possible that this causes my computers
to query RoadRunner's DNS servers for google.com.123 every time, but I
haven't seen any problems.

-tim