[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Andrew Hull <list at racc2000 dot com>
 To:  M0n0 Wall list <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] new RADIUS images
 Date:  Fri, 11 Nov 2005 14:54:18 -0500
Greetings,

Jonathan De Graeve's build 20051110_15-37 is working very well. I agree
with the dev freeze decision. It time to pound the hell out of this
build and see if it holds up.

Also, regarding Lee Sharp's concern: RFC2865 is very clear on this.

4.1 -- Access request
       An Access-Request SHOULD contain a User-Name attribute.  It MUST
       contain either a NAS-IP-Address attribute or a NAS-Identifier
       attribute (or both).

and

5.4 -- NAS-IP-Address
       Either NAS-IP-Address or NAS-Identifier MUST be present in
       an Access-Request packet.

If passing only NAS-Identifier (32) is causing some RADIUS servers to
not authenticate, then that software is not standards compliant at all.

Passing NAS-Identifer (32) is correct
Passing NAS-IP-Address (4) is correct
Passing 32 and 4 is correct

In my opinion, passing NAS-Identifier makes the most sense. One example
of my opinion is running a m0n0 box behind a NAT. This would create an
inconsistency between the value of NAS-IP-Address and the source address
in the packet header. As such, I recommend not passing NAS-IP-Address.
If NAS-IP-Address is not passed, then NAS-Identifier must, and it is.

Cheers,
Andrew Hull