[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Mike Mee <mikemee at gmail dot com>
 To:  Justin Wilson <j2sw at mtin dot net>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wireless Questions
 Date:  Fri, 11 Nov 2005 20:00:22 -0800
On 11/10/05, Justin Wilson <j2sw at mtin dot net> wrote:
>    I am wanting to use m0n0wall with a wrap board and 2 wireless cards. I
> am trying to accomplish the following:
>
>    1.Wireless Card #1 (wan) associates to another AP.
>    2.Wireless Card #2 (OPt1) has an omni attached to it to re-distribute
> the signal.

Are you perhaps using the same SSID on both your OPT1 and WAN?
(Couldn't quite work out if you were or not). If so, the WAN will try
to connect to the OPT1 SSID and chaos will ensue. I've done this on
more than one occaision. Oops.

If that's not it, when you disable OPT1, does it associate then?

I'm assuming you've covered things like:
+ is the main AP close enough / strong enough signal
+ cables / antennas / etc
+ right setup on main AP - e.g. 802.11b, not 802.11a or 802.11g-only

I've done this many times and it does work quite well (though you lose
approx 1/2 the bandwidth due to the radios overloading each other,
even if they're on channels 1 and 11..)

cheers, michael
www.socalfreenet.org