[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  mono at spectratechnology dot net
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  NATting Confirmation
 Date:  Sat, 12 Nov 2005 08:33:55 -0500 (EST)
I've read the documentation and FAQ. Not much in the way of detail was
given about the NATting scenario but I deduced it is possible. I want to
confirm and get some help with the how to make this happen properly.

I want to run a mail server on OPT1 network using a public IP. That same
public IP is my second and last one. I only have 2 :(   Anyway, I want to
be sure that when the traffic comes in it comes in on that IP and get
passed over to that specific computer that I want to give a private IP to,
such as 10.168.8.100. When email traffic goes out it ought to show that it
came from that particular public IP such that the reverse DNS holds true
and my emails aren't rejected.

I will need to run web servers and others off that 2nd IP as well.
From my reading, I suspect that I need to do Server NAT, inbound and
outbound. Is that correct ?  Will m0n0 handle such a situation ?

AS the doc said, I don't have plenty of public IPs so I can't just do a
true 1:1 NATing. I have a total of 2 and one is tied up doing something
and so this last one must do everything else.

What settings must I make to pull this off ?
I just got over the hump yesterday in getting the firewall setup and
getting LAN to see OPT1 but not allowing OPT1 to see LAN. I just got over
the hump of getting OPT1 to see things on the Internet.

I am new to doing stuff in m0n0 but have been reading to get an
understanding.

thanks,
Dwight