[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Adam Armstrong" <adama dash lists at memetic dot org>
 To:  <lutz dot niederer at gmx dot net>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Interfaces lock up under heavy load
 Date:  Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:04:45 -0000
> > I am running m0n0 1.2 on a wrap 1.E.
> > I am using a cable connection with a Motorola cable modem connected to
> the
> > wrap.  The other 2 interfaces are DMZ and LAN.  Since about 2 weeks I
> have
> > cable speed of about 8Mbit.  Since that the wrap/m0n0 hangs under heavy
> > load.  What I believe to see is that my LAN interface stops working.
> > Maybe
> > the WAN interface stops working first, but I am not sure.  The
> > blinkenlights
> > show activity on the WAN interface.  The LAN interface blinks with
> > constant
> > frequency (about 1 per sec).  And the connection to the wrap is broken.
> > have to restart the wrap.
> > I already set the adapter on my server to half-duplex (connected via
> > cross-over cable).  Did not help.
> > The problem is that I can't look behind the scenes.  The wrap is simply
> > not
> > acessible anymore.  Although it's blinking on the WAN interface.
> > Does anybody have a tip what I can do?  Has anybody seen something
> > similar?
>

> One addition:  I think that it works if I enable device polling.  (Not yet
> sure...)  But I don't know the implications of using device polling.  I
> thought that the wrap is very well tested with the interrupt mode...

Isn't it the opposite way around? Interrupt mode is the default, and polling
is a feature provided by certain nics which may or may not be perfect?

Does the wrap have serial? If this was one of my 4501s, I'd use serial to
see if the machine was still up or if the whole thing was down.

Even if the actual machine had crashed, the activity light on the wan would
probably still flash with traffic coming in from the wan.

I know that polling kills my 4501s, the wrap is 2-3 times faster though,
isn't it? I'd give it a try and see if it works :)

Adam.