[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Michael Mee <mm2001 at pobox dot com>
 To:  Douglas Stringer <dougstringer at mac dot com>
 Cc:  Justin Wilson <j2sw at mtin dot net>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wireless Questions
 Date:  Sun, 13 Nov 2005 15:01:38 -0800
Douglas Stringer wrote:
 > On Nov 11, 2005, at 11:00 PM, Mike Mee wrote:
 >> I've done this many times and it does work quite well (though you lose
 >> approx 1/2 the bandwidth due to the radios overloading each other,
 >> even if they're on channels 1 and 11..)

> What do you mean by "radios overloading each other." Could you be  more
> specific?

The radio frequencies are close enough for the broadcast on one to
effect the receive on the other. This affects throughput.

The only real solution is two radios mounted 2-3 meters apart, including
antennas (Or notch filters tuned to the specific channel (expensive)
which still won't help much if the miniPCI cards are physically proximate).

This is a well recognised though often ignored (and often debated)
effect. Its easy enough to verify however!

cheers, michael