[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Ian Cartwright <ian351c at cox dot net>
 To:  Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv dot com>
 Cc:  M0N0Wall firewall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Wrong name listed for syslog?
 Date:  Wed, 07 Jan 2004 17:50:04 -0700
On Wed, 2004-01-07 at 05:49, Francisco Reyes wrote:
> I am happy to say I just finished my first complete-working M0n0wall
> install. I was almost done since yesterday except the remote loggin.
>
> One point worth noting. On the Diagnostic | System Logs | Settings at the
> bottom it says " Be sure to set syslogd on the remote server to accept
> syslog messages from m0n0wall.". The name syslogd shows as receiving is
> "ipmon" and not m0n0wall.

Fransisco,

Mine actually says "syslog sends UDP datagrams to port 514 on the
specified remote syslog server. Be sure to set syslogd on the remote
server to accept syslog messages from m0n0wall." But it would make sense
that "ipmon" might be there in earlier versions. One must keep in mind
that m0n0wall is not a firewall built from the ground up, but a
management system for and custom distribution of other programs. The
firewall part is ipfilter which uses ipmon for monitoring and logging.
In fact, one of the best ways to find documentation for m0n0wall is to
read the docs for the various pieces of software used in making
m0n0wall.

Ian