[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Brandon Holland" <brandon at cookssaw dot com>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Blocked Port Detection?
 Date:  Wed, 7 Jan 2004 21:06:50 -0600
Our ISP blocks certain ports highly used by trojans (we can ask them to
remove a certain rule on an individual basis) but my question is, from
what "PORT pool" does m0n0 get the "available" ports for use?

Because, I guess if m0n0 tries a port that has been blocked, the
connection just dies, and it becomes a lost packet.

I'd like to be able to manually set the list of ports it can use if the
"default" list is unacceptable.  Is that configurable?

I wouldn't think that the firewall would think "well, this port NEVER
responds, it needs to be marked as unusable" and even if it did, a
reboot would "fix" that, huh?

An interesting thought,
Brandon Holland    ( <mailto:brandon at cookssaw dot com> Brandon at Cookssaw dot com)
Network Administrator
Cooks Saw MFG, LLC ( <http://www.cookssaw.com> www.CooksSaw.com)
    "Leading the bandsaw Industry
         by providing tomorrow's innovation today"
160 Ken Lane
Newton, AL 36352  (Click for map)
   Ph: 1-800-473-4804    [ (334) 692-5074 ]
   Fax: (334) 692-3704