[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Chad R. Larson" <clarson at eldocomp dot com>
 To:  Michael Iedema <iedemam at pluto dot dsu dot edu>, Francisco Reyes <lists at natserv dot com>, Assinatura de Listas <assinarlistas at yahoo dot com dot br>
 Cc:  "m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [bayes] RE: Res: Re: Res: Re: Res: Re: Res: Re: [m0n0wall]Problems with NAT in pb23r570??
 Date:  Thu, 8 Jan 2004 13:41:58 -0700
At 01:09 PM 1/8/2004, Michael Iedema wrote:
>Mine worked flawlessly.
>I used smartFTP with the following output.  There was a rather long pause
>in getting the listing and its presence is noted in the message log.

That frequently is the result of Domain Name Service (DNS) being
misconfigured.  The FTP server does a reverse lookup on the incoming IP
address so that it can make a pretty log entry.  Eventually it times out
the lookup and continues.  I think the FreeBSD default timeout is 10
seconds.  If you see delays connecting to a server that are in multiples of
10 seconds, it is a good bet that the server doesn't have you in its
/etc/hosts table =and= doesn't have an accessible name server configured.

          -crl
   Eldorado Computing, Inc.   602-604-3100
      5353 North 16th Street, Suite 400
        Phoenix, Arizona   85016-3228