[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Manuel Kasper <mk at neon1 dot net>
 To:  "Holger Bauer" <Holger dot Bauer at citec dash ag dot de>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall crashed due to active blaster on LAN-Side
 Date:  Fri, 9 Jan 2004 18:07:29 +0100
On 09.01.2004, at 15:29, Holger Bauer wrote:

> However, today the m0n0wall crashed every 2 minutes. First I
> downgraded to pb22r566 as I upgraded to the new

You'll need to give us more information. How did it crash? Did it
simply reboot? Kernel panic? Any console messages?

Don't forget that once the system has booted, packet filtering and NAT
do not differ from a normal FreeBSD box with ipfilter (the webGUI and
PHP configuration stuff only serves to start everything up and to
automatically generate the ruleset for ipfilter - when you're not doing
anything in the webGUI, then PHP doesn't even run, nor does any
software written by me for that matter). So if there is a problem,
chances are you'd experience the same thing if you were to run stock
FreeBSD on the same machine in the same configuration.

> When will m0n0wall feature more diagnostic-possibilities (and maybe
> more stability)? I have seen in the wishlist, that some functions are
> planned.

For advanced (i.e. FreeBSD-savvy) users, there's exec.php and
status.php. When used creatively, these should be sufficient as
diagnostic tools. Any stability concerns should be addressed to the
FreeBSD project, as I consider myself not guilty for crashes, panics or
resets (except for embedded CPUs with hardware watchdogs, hehe ;). That
said, I believe that FreeBSD 4.x is one of the most stable operating
systems for x86 machines.

- Manuel