[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Kintaro -" <kintaroz at msn dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Problem setting up m0n0wall on a Single-NIC machine
 Date:  Sun, 11 Jan 2004 01:05:34 +0000
Hi m0n0wall0r guys!

I've got some very trivial problem with setting up m0n0wall.
The machine where it is running on has only *ONE* network card equipped, so
I run into problems when trying
to assign the interfaces to their network ports.

After booting up my machine I choose the first entry in the setup menu.
m0n0wall will prompt me to choose a network interface afterwards:
"Valid interfaces are:

rl0     00:50:BA:BB:30:24

Enter the LAN interface name:"

I'm only able to select the only choice here... But doing so will make
selecting a WAN device impossible since
m0n0 will not allow to assign the interface to multiple network ports.
If I try to skip this and just hit enter, m0n0wall will bring me back to the
main screen without doing anything.

Ok guys, now my network setup:

---------    ---------    ---------    ---------
|         |  |         |  |         |  |         |
|  PC  1  |  |  PC  2  |  |  PC  3  |  |   ...   |
|         |  |         |  |         |  |         |
---------    ---------    ---------    ---------
     |            |            |            |
     |            |            |            |
      ------------------ -------------------

                    ----------           ---------
                   |          |         |  ADSL-  |
                   |  Switch  |---------|         |
                   |          |         |  Modem  |
                    ----------           ---------

                    ----------
                   | Gateway  |
                   |          |
                   |  (m0n0)  |
                    ----------

I have multiple PCs as well as my m0n0 gateway connected to a switch, where
also my ADSL modem is plugged in.
As said before, the gateway has only one NIC. The switch does support
auto-crossover, so I assume that's not
the problem I'm searching for, since it worked well with other firewall
systems before...

Well, as of now none of the other machines is able to find the gateway where
m0n0 is running, neither by using
a DHCP setup nor by manually assigning the IP.
I'm using 192.168.1.1/24 for the m0n0-gatway and 192.168.1.2 with a C-class
255.255.255.0 subnet mask for one
of the other machines. But the m0n0 machine isn't pingable or even reachable
for http-requests this way.

Because of this, I assume that the problem is the missing WAN interface I'm
not able to specify.
So if anyone does know if I really need to get a second NIC for getting this
working, I would be very grateful.

Thank you very much!
Zelgadis