[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin Backus <mbackus at bellsouth dot net>
 To:  "Kintaro -" <kintaroz at msn dot com>, m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Problem setting up m0n0wall on a Single-NIC machine
 Date:  Sat, 10 Jan 2004 20:44:25 -0500
At 08:05 PM 1/10/2004, Kintaro - wrote:
>Hi m0n0wall0r guys!
>
>I've got some very trivial problem with setting up m0n0wall.
>The machine where it is running on has only *ONE* network card equipped,
>so I run into problems when trying
>to assign the interfaces to their network ports.
>
>After booting up my machine I choose the first entry in the setup menu.
>m0n0wall will prompt me to choose a network interface afterwards:
>"Valid interfaces are:
>
>rl0     00:50:BA:BB:30:24
>
>Enter the LAN interface name:"
>
>I'm only able to select the only choice here... But doing so will make
>selecting a WAN device impossible since
>m0n0 will not allow to assign the interface to multiple network ports.
>If I try to skip this and just hit enter, m0n0wall will bring me back to
>the main screen without doing anything.
>
><snip>

In order to use m0n0 as the firewall you need for it to be connected
between the LAN and your ADSL modem.  Normally that means the modem is
connect to the m0n0 machine.  Assuming that your modem is connected via
ethernet as would be indicated by your diagram, yes, you'll need another
NIC in your m0n0 machine to do this.  Then connect the WAN side of your
switch to the LAN interface on the m0n0 machine.  The network then looks
like this:

>---------    ---------    ---------    ---------
>|         |  |         |  |         |  |         |
>|  PC  1  |  |  PC  2  |  |  PC  3  |  |   ...   |
>|         |  |         |  |         |  |         |
>---------    ---------    ---------    ---------
>     |            |            |            |
>     |            |            |            |
>      ------------------ -------------------
>                    ----------
>                   |          |
>                   |  Switch  |