[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Comparison with cisco PIX 506e
 Date:  Tue, 15 Nov 2005 16:05:43 -0600
From: "Ugo Bellavance" <ugob at camo dash route dot com>

> Anyone has an idea of what kind of hardware with m0n0wall will be similar
> to a 506e PIX?

Amusingly enough, I am replacing one right now with a m0n0 box.

> It runs on a 300 Mhz celeron, but I was wondering how it would compare
> with a WRAP (266 Mhz).

The CPU of the Warp will be less.  If you are worried about demand, I would
go with a higher speed Via solution.  However, I don't think you will have a
problem.

> It also states it can handle 25 000 connexions...

A meaningless number, unless you have a OC-3 to the net.  The WRAP should
give you about 40 meg bandwidth.  If you are only using it for 2 ports, this
will saturate your internet connection.

> My plan is to protect a web server, so I don't really need VPN, etc. but
> I'd like to know what features are included in the PIX that m0n0 hasn't
> (IDS?).

A lot of the Cisco proprietary tools will not be there.  However, Cisco has
the most difficult to use tools on the market, and they don't work with the
standard tools.   However, m0n0 likes more memory that the Cisco has.  Think
128-256 meg as a reasonable minimum for a business class box.  And many
people would argue that IDS does not belong on a firewall, but on a box
watching the firewall.

                        Lee