[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Adam Gibson <agibson at ptm dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Continuously DNS Requests
 Date:  Wed, 16 Nov 2005 09:26:29 -0500
I noticed the same thing(only looked at 1.2) if you put in DNS servers
that refuse your requests(for instance if you switch ISPs but forget to
change the DNS entries).  If the DNS server refuses the request(sends
refused responses) m0n0wall will constantly keep sending DNS
queries(multiple times a second non-stop).  This was another scenario
that would not have been noticed without a packet sniffer.  I had to put
another system on the wire to see why m0n0wall was generating all the
traffic(I noticed the activity lights always going).   Yea... I want a
packet sniffer with m0n0wall :).