[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Bjoern Euler (lists at edain)" <lists at edain dot de>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Syslogging across VPN
 Date:  Thu, 17 Nov 2005 20:20:14 +0100
Chris Martin wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have a slight problem. I have a VPN with M0n0walls at either end - it
> works fine. PCs etc can communicate across it both ways without any
> problems. What I have noticed though is that neither Monowall can ping a
> host on the other side (although hosts can ping them). The main problem,
> and the reason for this post, is that I've just installed a syslog
> server on the LAN at one end. The local m0n0wall is logging to it fine,
> but I am not getting anything from the remote one. Any ideas/
> suggestions greatly appreciated.
>
> Thanks
>
> Chris Martin

Hi,

just a shot in the dark:

m0n0wall is sending the syslog packets from its WAN IP address. It knows
the network of your syslog server by its default route and so the
packets never match your IPSec tunnel configuration.

To verify you could add a filter rule for syslog on the wan interface
with logging enabled.