[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "M0n0Wall ML" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] High CPU usage
 Date:  Fri, 18 Nov 2005 00:25:20 -0600
From: "Sasa Stupar" <sasa at stupar dot homelinux dot net>
> --On 17. november 2005 18:38 -0500 "Bryan K. Brayton"
> <bryan at sonicburst dot net> wrote:

>> Well, my psychic sense tells me he's running a Pentium 166 Mhz in that
>> deskpro, running on a 66 MHz bus...

>> Strangely, my esp fails me trying to read his NIC manufacturers though

> All three NIC's are Realtek 8139 series.

Well, the CPU is a fairly weak starting point.  You are also light on
memory.  However, the network cards are the killer.  They are the nic
equivalent of a WinModem.  All of the "heavy lifting" is done by the CPU.
If you bump the memory up to 128 meg, and replace the nics with Intel
http://www.directron.com/8460c.html or
http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDetails.asp?txtProductName=nic/pila8472-bk&txtMfgPartNo=&nCategorySubID=125&txtSiteTrack=pw
would bet your throughput will go up significantly.  Perhaps even double.

                        Lee