[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Chris Buechler <cbuechler at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Re: Comparison with cisco PIX 506e
 Date:  Sat, 19 Nov 2005 19:49:18 -0500
On 11/19/05, sai <sonicsai at gmail dot com> wrote:
> On 11/16/05, Ugo Bellavance <ugob at camo dash route dot com> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> >       Anyone has an idea of what kind of hardware with m0n0wall will be
> > similar to a 506e PIX?
> .
> .
> > It also states it can handle 25 000 connexions...
>

> Number of connections would be related to memory. I suppose if you
> wanted more connections you could increase memory.

yeah.  by default, m0n0wall allows 30,000 (limited by state table
size).  You have to rebuild the kernel to increase the state table,
and it increases RAM usage.  30K states is sufficient for virtually
every network with less than a couple thousand hosts (though it varies
wildly depending on your Internet usage).

Throughput-wise, a 506 should be able to do 80-90 Mb, while a WRAP
will get you about half of that.  Chances are, in any situation where
a 506 is sufficient, a WRAP will be as well though.

-Chris