[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  "M0n0Wall ML" <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] High CPU usage
 Date:  Sun, 20 Nov 2005 12:20:15 -0600
From: "Sasa Stupar" <sasa at stupar dot homelinux dot net>

>>> http://www.cmishop.com/store/ShowDetails.asp?txtProductName=nic/pila8472-
>>> bk&txtMfgPartNo=&nCategorySubID=125&txtSiteTrack=pw I would bet your
>>> throughput will go up significantly.  Perhaps even double.

>> I was suspecting that the NIC are the issue. I think memory is not since
>> when I look at the system info it shows only 40% of used memory.

> OK. Now I am in the search for NIC. I looked on the link but here I can't
> get those. Can anyone recommend which NIC ( a list) would be adviseable to
> buy.
> I can get the following:
> - Netgear FA311
> - 3com 3C905 series

Intel is widely regarded as the best FreeBSD nics, since they write the
driver for them in house.  3com also is highly regarded, but not as highly
as Intel.  Via Rhine chipsets have been reported to be quite good as well.
The Netgear uses it's own chipset, so it will be better than the RealTek,
but not as good as the Intel or the 3com.

                        Lee