[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Norman H. Azadian" <norman at azadian dot ch>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  DNS problem
 Date:  Mon, 21 Nov 2005 22:54:39 +0100
Someone want to tell me how this can happen?

> C:\>nslookup mail.azadian.ch
> Server:  fw.azadian.ch
> Address:  192.168.3.3
>
> Name:    mail.azadian.ch
> Address:  192.168.3.10
>

> C:\>ping mail.azadian.ch
>
> Pinging mail.azadian.ch [80.238.205.32] with 32 bytes of data:
>
> Reply from 80.238.205.32: bytes=32 time<10ms TTL=63

This is on my W2K laptop, which is connected to the mail server via WLAN.
mail.azadian.ch is DNS forwarded to mail server's internal address of
192.168.3.10 by m0n0wall-1.2.  When the laptop comes up, it runs correctly
for a while, meaning that both nslookup and ping use the internal address.
  Then it can't find the mail server, and I have the state shown above.  It
is perhaps important to note that my ADSL is going up and down like a yo-yo
these days, due to either a bad modem or a bad line; I don't know which yet.

NHA
---
Norman H. Azadian    Taegerishalde 13    CH-3110 Muensingen    Switzerland
norman at azadian dot ch      tel: +41 31 721 7855      fax: +41 31 55 898 55