[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "David Farrior" <davidfarrior at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] Directing Traffic To Use IPSEC VPN
 Date:  Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:12:14 -0600
David Farrior wrote:
> I have a site to site IPSEC vpn setup and working. I can ping hosts
> on both sides etc. I am using a 3rd party application that uses a
> server. When you load the application software on the client it uses
> broadcast traffic to "find" the server. (or so I've been told) The
> problem I'm having is that the client computers I'm working on are at
> one site and the server is at a different site.
>
> So, any thought on how to make this work? Unfortuneately, the software
> doesn't allow you to specify a server ip address. The only thought I
> had so far was to do a netstat -a and see what ports the client is
> broadcasting out on and somehow (if this is possible) configure the
> monowall to pass that traffic accross the vpn.

I would verify with the vendor that the software will work though a
router (A firewall is not the only think that will limit broadcast
traffic). There maybe something in the program's .ini file (assuming
Windows) that would allow you to specify an IP address.

If it truly ***ONLY*** uses broadcast to find a server you may be out of
luck.

James W. McKeand