[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall as a PPTP VPN server
 Date:  Mon, 21 Nov 2005 19:24:17 -0600
From: <thomas dot serra at bluewin dot ch>

> - Does m0n0wall act as PPTP VPN server?

Yes.  It can also port forward all of the associated PPTP ports to a
different server if desired.

> - Will my outside XP machines be completely integrated to the MS-Workgroup
> network?

Possibly.  This is a technical problem that is only a problem because of
Microsoft licensing.  If you office network is a domain (or active
directory) and the home users are using XP Home, and not XP Pro, they will
be unable to log into the domain.  However, if the Windows Server is the
PPTP server, XP Home systems can log into the domain.

Amusingly enough I was just at the Microsoft web site, and the front of the
Business section has a tag line for Great Plains, "Performs the way you
expect. Works the way your people expect."  I thought to myself, "Why would
you want to advertise that you will deliver shoddy software with needlessly
complex licensing?"  Then I realized that Microsoft were the only ones in
the world who would not see it that way. :-)

                        Lee