[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Dinesh Nair <dinesh at alphaque dot com>
 To:  Soren Vanggaard Jensen <svanggaard at hotmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Mono lockup - status?
 Date:  Mon, 21 Nov 2005 16:55:19 +0800
On 11/21/05 16:17 Soren Vanggaard Jensen said the following:
> I'm afraid that it will be very difficult for me to live without
> trafficshaping. Currently i have approx 15 VoIP telephones and approx. 4
> hours of daily phone conversations.  I could disable the trafficshaper
> during next weekend, but theres no gurantee that the problem will show
> within 2 days. The lockup frequency is btw. 1-5 days.

i've had m0n0walls running for over 6 months without any lockups in a
similar environment to yours, traffic shaping voip calls. the range of
versions range from an early 1.2b3 to 1.2b9. at the same time, i've got
another bunch of freebsd servers (not m0n0wall) doing the same thing. none
have shown any signs of a lockup. they all range from Celeron to P3 and P4
CPUs with most of them using the intel etherexpress NICs (fxp devices).

a large part of the problem here is the inability to lock down what the
cause of the problem is and what's causing it. most field lockups i've seen
have been caused by an overheated CPU, which is fixed by a reboot. without
knowing what is causing the lockup, it's going to be difficult for anyone
to even begin searching for a fix.