[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "Mark Wass" <mark dot wass at market dash analyst dot com>, <thomas dot serra at bluewin dot ch>
 Cc:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] m0n0wall as a PPTP VPN server
 Date:  Tue, 22 Nov 2005 09:25:17 -0600
Mark Wass wrote:
>  >Does m0n0wall act as PPTP VPN server?
>
> yes
>
>  >Will my outside XP machines be completely integrated to the
> MS-Workgroup network?
>
> Yes. I have this similar setup at home. I even have a printer at home
> that users in the office could print to if needed. It is essentially
> like having your PC in the office.
>
> You just need to make sure you set-up all the correct firewall rules
> in m0n0 for PPTP clients.

The biggest hurdle you will face is the fact that the network at the
office is a workgroup (i.e. peer-to-peer). Workgroups rely heavily on
broadcast traffic for name resolution. I do not believe that broadcast
traffic will pass through the VPN.

You may need to be prepared help your home users edit their hosts file
to include the names and IPs of the machines at the office. You can also
use the lmhosts file see Microsoft article Q314108 - "How to Write an
LMHOSTS file for Domain Validation and Other Name Resolution Issues."

The other issue you will face is the fact that the home users will
probably not have the same username and password that they use at work.
Most home users will probably have a username of "owner" with no
password. You will need to teach the users how to handle the username
and password prompt when they access a resource on the office network. I
also recommend that you use complex passwords in the PPTP:Users tab.

James W. McKeand