[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "James W. McKeand" <james at mckeand dot biz>
 To:  "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>, <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>, <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 Subject:  RE: [m0n0wall] DNS problem
 Date:  Tue, 22 Nov 2005 10:39:03 -0600
Don Munyak wrote:
>> Windows does not handle up and down connectivity well at all.  Write
>> a small batch file that is only; Net Stop "DNS Client"
>> Net Start "DNS Client"
>
>> You will be amazed how often, and how fast it fixes DNS problems and
>> "Slow Internet" problems...
>
> Lee, if you get a chance, could you clarify how or why the batch file
> would fix slow internet problems.

It would not address the slow internet problem. It would force Windows
to switch which DNS it will use. If the primary DNS is not reachable,
Windows will switch to the secondary DNS. It will not automatically
switch back if the primary becomes available again, it will not even
check. This is similar to the mechanism that is used with dialup
connections when you list multiple numbers to the ISP. Windows will try
the first one on the list, if no connection, it will try the second. The
next time it tries to connect, it will start with the last one that
worked...

Restarting the DNS Client will force Windows to use the Primary DNS. You
can also use the repair connection on Windows XP SP2 - found on the
status page for the connection. This does more than just restarting the
DNS Client, basically restarts the whole network stack.

I use a DNS on my LAN and use the m0n0wall as a forwarder for that DNS.
The m0n0wall is set to use the DNS of the ISP. If the m0n0wall takes a
nap, no problem. The LAN DNS probably has the results cached anyway...

James W. McKeand