[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Melvin <melvin at sleepydragon dot net>
 To:  Don Munyak <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>
 Cc:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch, leesharp at hal dash pc dot org
 Subject:  Re: Fwd: [m0n0wall] DNS problem
 Date:  Tue, 22 Nov 2005 12:53:17 -0500
Don Munyak wrote:

>>Windows does not handle up and down connectivity well at all.  Write a small
>>batch file that is only;
>>Net Stop "DNS Client"
>>Net Start "DNS Client"
>>

>>You will be amazed how often, and how fast it fixes DNS problems and "Slow
>>Internet" problems...
>>

>Lee, if you get a chance, could you clarify how or why the batch file
>would fix slow internet problems.
>
>Thanks
>
>- Don

In most cases that I've found you don't even need DNSClient running.
AFAIK it's only function is to cache DNS requests.  On most small
networks DNS queries take so little time you'll never notice the
difference.  In fact in environments where there are frequent changes it
can actually create issues.  As an alternative, IPCONFIG /FLUSHDNS
would/should accomplish the same thing as the stop/start solution.