[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Marko Vukovic <marko at aquamanta dot co dot za>
 To:  "Graham, Robert" <rgraham at mem dash ins dot com>, m0n0wall <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] Transparent Proxy Support
 Date:  Tue, 22 Nov 2005 21:32:17 +0200
Graham, Robert wrote:
> Marko,
>
> Thanks for the reply.  I do have a question for you.  What do you do
> about SSL and ftp connections?  Since it appears that this solution
> will not work for either...

Hi Robert

What do you want to do with SSL connections? Squid cannot cache
encrypted objects, that's the whole point of encryption ;)

You cannot do transparent FTP caching with Squid because:
When your browser is configured to use a proxy server it will talk proxy
HTTP protocol to the proxy which will then talk FTP to the destination
server, so if your browser is *not* configured for a proxy server, it
will attempt to talk FTP to the destination.

Have a look at Frox http://frox.sourceforge.net/ perhaps that will help.

Regards
--
Marko