[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  "Lee Sharp" <leesharp at hal dash pc dot org>
 To:  <m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch>
 Subject:  Re: [m0n0wall] DNS problem
 Date:  Wed, 23 Nov 2005 00:33:43 -0600
From: "Don Munyak" <don dot munyak at gmail dot com>

>> Windows does not handle up and down connectivity well at all.  Write a
>> small
>> batch file that is only;
>> Net Stop "DNS Client"
>> Net Start "DNS Client"

>> You will be amazed how often, and how fast it fixes DNS problems and
>> "Slow
>> Internet" problems...

> Lee, if you get a chance, could you clarify how or why the batch file
> would fix slow internet problems.

It doesn't really, but it seems to. :-)  If you have a skip in your DNS
request, it times out, and goes to secondary.  If you loose a packet on the
request to secondary, it has to time out again.  If you sniff the packets,
on a "dirty" connection, it can switch back and forth a few times, with a
time out each time, on a given query.  The internet is up, but slow name
resolution kills the web page, AND the pages for all the third party adds
which have to load before it displays these days.  Hence, the internet
appearing "slow."  Just a quick and dirty hack that works far more often
than you would think it would.  I tell people to run it whenever they are
having trouble. (Put a shortcut on the desktop) I say it is the modern
equivalent to slapping the side of the TV.

                        Lee