[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  Sven Brill <madde at gmx dot net>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  m0n0wall and Verizon Wireless
 Date:  Wed, 23 Nov 2005 14:00:49 -0500
Hi,

I just switched my home firewall to a generic PC with the 1.2b10-ovpn5
image i saw linked to in the archives, because i need OpenVPN for
various reasons. So far, rock solid, and quiet, since i don't need to
run a hdd :)

I am now in the process of evaluating options for a non-profit
organization I volunteer at (no-kill animal shelter). I want them to be
able to use an open source shelter management software inside the
shelter, as well as remotely, hence, again, openvpn.

That said, the problem I am running into is that the shelter is in the
sticks near Worcester, MA, neither cable nor DSL is available. I checked
Verizon Wireless, and the speed is impressive, much better than downtown
Boston. So I am faced with building a NAT router/firewall with a VZW
card as the WAN interface. I found a couple of tutorials about a
specific card VZW sells (Sierra 5220), but they all pertain to Linux.
Has anyone played with the card (which is hopefully still sold) and can
give me pointers as to how to get m0n0wall to use that card and PPP as
the WAN connection? I have secured an old laptop already, I just don't
have the card yet to tinker around, but I should have one today or tomorrow.

Thanks

Sven