[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  PlanAlpha <plan dot alpha at gmail dot com>
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  Enterprise m0n0wall?
 Date:  Fri, 25 Nov 2005 09:36:55 -0800
I'm sure that I'm not alone in my thoughts about m0n0wall; the more I
use it, the more I like it. I do a lot of firewall installations for
mostly large customers who pay a lot for their firewalls and don't
really get a lot. Being an open source advocate I like to push open
source solutions, but in the enterprise market it isn't always very
easy. People don't understand what open source really is about and
really like the warm fuzzy illusion of having "someone who they can
call." One customer said they'd never use f/oss but bought a Nokia

So I've been thinking about what it would take to put m0n0wall in to
the enterprise setting. The easy part is using a decent hardware
platform. I've been looking at something like this:
http://www.mbx.com/oem/reference_platforms/RP-1013.cfm

Some of hurdles that come to mind:
-	Commercial support
-	Features of the base images

Have any of the m0n0 developers considered setting themselves up to be
a commercial entity that still devs open code but will support it
commercially? (which in my opinion is a GREAT business model)

I was also thinking about the feasibility of having an "Enterprise"
generic-pc image that would be geared for bigger implementations, (for
example, having higher number of pptp connections,  clustering,

I think m0n0wall is glaring example of how good open source can be,
and I'd like to be able to leverage it in more environments. Kudos to
all of the folks who develop and contribute to the project!