[ previous ] [ next ] [ threads ]

 From:  thomas dot serra at bluewin dot ch
 To:  m0n0wall at lists dot m0n0 dot ch
 Subject:  PPTP VPN server in a MS WorkGroup environment
 Date:  Fri, 25 Nov 2005 18:44:26 +0100
Hi all,

I'm planning to use m0n0wall as a PPTP VPN and FireWall solution for our
small firm. Our office network is a MS-WorkGroup composed of 9 Windows XP
machines.

All machines in the WorkGroup contain the same 9 entries user base. All the
machines are identical.

Every week-end I'll will have around 6 users VPN connecting simultaneously
to the network and accessing their desktop machine via MS Remote Desktop.

I'm planning to use a WRAP from PC-Engines.

My questions are the following:

- Is the WRAP fast enough or shall I need a crypto card?
  Should I prefer a PC?

- Are there any bottle necks or special problems I should be attentive to?

I had a very interesting answer from Mark Wass telling me about some issues
I could face : http://m0n0.ch/wall/list/showmsg.php?id=222/34

Did anyone face particular problems using m0n0wall as a PPTP VPN server in
a MS WorkGroup environment?

Before starting with m0n0wall I'd like to be sure about the right hardware
to use, and some possible problems I could face in a Microsoft environment.

Thanks in advance for your help, suggestions, warnings and advises.

Regards,

Tom.